|MSUN Home||EventsCalendarA-Z IndexDirectoriesContact Us|
|About MSU-Northern Academics Admissions Campus Life Services|
Northern had its beginnings in 1913 when the Thirteenth Legislative Assembly of Montana established Northern Montana Agricultural and Manual Training School to be located at Fort Assiniboine. The bill passed on March 8, 1913, but no money was appropriated.
The 1927 Legislature amended the original act to allow certain academic subjects to be taught in the city of Havre. The passage of both acts was a monument to the work of State Representative Florian Carnal, Senators William Cowan of Box Elder and D.S. MacKenzie Sr., and E.C. Carruth of Havre, a longtime member of the State Board of Education.
Funds for the operation of the school were made available by the Legislative Assembly in 1929, and the college opened its doors to 80 students on September 24 of that year (formal ceremonies opening the school were held on September 30th) The faculty consisted of 5 members including Dr. G.H. Vande Bogart, who had been appointed president of the school.
Did you know...
|Montana State University-NorthernP.O. Box 7751Havre, MT 59501800.662.6132|
|Copyright © 2004-2013DisclaimerAA/EEO StatementOnline Privacy Statement|