Effective: October 15, 2002
Revised: May 2016
Review Date: May 2018
Responsible Party: Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration
The following procedures have been adopted by MSU-Northern to implement Policy 1002.2 – Vehicle Policy and Procedures issued by the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education on November 27, 2006 and revised July 1, 2007 and May 28, 2010.
The policy can be found, on line at: http://mus.edu/borpol/bor1000/1002-2.pdf
The following procedures have been adopted by MSU-Northern in order to implement the State of Montana vehicle use policy at Montana State University-Northern:
- This policy applies to all vehicles operated by any Montana University System (MUS) employee, student, or other authorized person for MUS/State business. This includes all rented, MUS/State owned, leased, courtesy, motor pool or any other vehicle operated for MUS/State business. Failure to comply with the policy and procedures may result in disciplinary action.
- Campuses have the authority to establish and implement more stringent policies and procedures at the campus level.
- The Montana University System adheres to the State Vehicle Use Policy (Administrative
Rules Manual Title 2 Chapter 6):
- Supervisors at Montana State University-Northern are responsible for insuring that the employees who report to them have received a copy of the State of Montana Vehicle Use Policy and additional information that supplements the Policy. Business Services is responsible for implementing this Policy as it applies to students.
- Those supervisors, and the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, are also responsible for collecting the necessary signatures from employees and students to insure compliance with the Vehicle Use Policy and this has been assigned to the Accounts Payable person in Business Services.
- The appropriate signature forms should be given to the Accounts Payable person in the Business Services Office. That office will keep a list of all MSU-Northern employees and students who have completed the signature form, and that list will be shared with the physical plant office and the employee relations specialist at MSU-Northern.
- 4. The signature form will be kept on file in the Business Services Office.
- If an employee or student at MSU-Northern has not complied with the State of Montana
Vehicle Use Policy, and especially if that employee or student has not submitted a
signature form to the Accounts Payable person in Business Services Office at MSU-Northern,
that employee or student
- Cannot use a state owned vehicle; and
- Cannot receive reimbursement from MSU-Northern on any vehicle rented for official State business, or for use of a personal vehicle on official State business.
History: Item 133-106-R1106, New Policy on Vehicle Use by MUS Employees, approved by the Board of Regents on November 17, 2006. Policy effective date changes by Board of Regents January 19, 2007.