404 Application for Graduation or Final Degree Requirement Check Sheet
April 12, 2002
The following policy has been adopted by Montana State University-Northern to implement the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education policy entitled "Application for Graduation or Final Degree Requirement Check Sheet." The purpose of the policy is to ". . .establish and publish a formal process by which students and faculty may reach final agreement about minimum graduation requirements for a baccalaureate degree in any given academic program."
- Every student in a bachelor's degree, baccalaureate program must complete the "degree check" process adopted by MSU-Northern.
- That process must be initiated by the student after he/she has earned his/her 75th credit. For purposes of this policy, earned credit means any credit for which the student has received a traditional letter grade. I.E.: A, B, C, D, F or P.
- The "degree check" procedures must be completed by the student before he/she has earned his/her 90th credit.
- If a student transfers to MSU-Northern after earning his/her 90th credit, that student will have one semester to complete the requirements of the "degree check" policy.
- If a student fails to follow the timelines or procedures established in this policy, any avenues of review or appeal for exceptions to academic policy on the MSU-Northern campus are NOT AVAILABLE to the student.
- The only exception to this limitation is the situation where a student can prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that the failure to comply with the policy is the fault of MSU-Northern and its employees.
- The following procedures have been established to complete the "degree check":
- The Registrar's office will notify all students and their respective chairs/deans, in writing, about the policy and its expectations the semester before each student earns his/her 75th credit.
- Students are expected to work with their faculty advisor to complete a program sheet, a general education sheet, and a check sheet prepared by the Registrar's office that sets out additional requirements that must be satisfied to earn the bachelor's degree.
- That information should clearly set out the work that the student has already completed; and the work that still needs to be done to earn the bachelor's degree.
- The information described in VI.b., above, must be signed by the student and the faculty advisor.
- The information must be submitted to the Registrar's office, according to the time frames described in Parts II., III. and/or IV. above, depending on which of those sections applies to each student.
- The "degree check" is only complete and official when it has a signature from the Provost or the Provost's designee.
- The original copy of the official "degree check" form will be kept on file in the Registrar's office. A copy will be provided to each student.
- The "degree check" will only be valid and enforceable for three (3) years from the date of the official approval by the Registrar's office, described in section VI.f. above.
- If a "degree check" expires under the terms of this section, the student covered by the lapsed "degree check" will have the same rights as if he/she had never filed the appropriate "degree check" paperwork. Those rights are described in section V. above.
- If a student completes the "degree check" process, as set out in section VI. above; and if the student fails to follow the additional requirements that must be satisfied to earn a bachelor's degree as specified in the official record described in section VI.f. above, that student will have the same rights as if he/she had never filed the appropriate "degree check" paperwork. Those rights are described in section V. above.