Student Job information at MSU-Northern
Many different types of positions are available on-campus in a wide range of choices from office positions, lab assistants, physical plant, tutoring, food service, and others.
How can I find out what jobs are available?
Log onto CareerExpress or stop into the Career Center in Cowan Hall 213.
What are the hourly salaries?
Minimum wage rate is $8.15/hour, but some jobs start out higher.
What procedures do I follow for on-campus student employment and payment?
Please allow at least seven days to process appropriate paper work. If this time line is not followed, we cannot guarantee a paycheck.
- Log onto CareerExpress or stop into the Career Center in Cowan Hall 213, to see what is available.
- Arrange to talk to potential employers
- Once selected for a position, go to Kelly in Business Services and pick up a certification card and fill out a Banner New Employee Form, I-9, & W-4. In order to fill out the I-9, you need to bring either a passport, or a photo ID and a social security card or birth certificate.
- Have your supervisor sign the certification card
- Return certification card to Business Services, which will generate time sheets
- Time sheets will be sent to the employer
- Fill out your time sheet at the end of each month.
- Your supervisor then signs the time sheet & sends it to payroll.
- You can then pick up your paycheck (be sure to have a picture ID!) at the Cashier’s desk in Business Services around the 10th of each month (Payday Schedule)
Canceling an Interview
If you decide to cancel an interview, you must give AT LEAST TWO DAYS' NOTICE to allow the Career Center enough time to fill the interview slot you vacate.
In the event of sudden illness or personal emergency on the day of the scheduled interview, you must contact the Career Center NO LATER THAN 8:30 A.M. Excuses may be subject to verification.
Failure to comply with the cancellation policy will result in the immediate loss of your interview privileges. To regain those privileges, you must submit a letter of apology to the recruiter with a copy sent to the Career Center office.
Failure to show up for a scheduled interview will result in the immediate loss of interviewing privileges and résumé referral including CareerExpress.
To request reinstatement of interviewing privileges, you must submit a letter of apology to the recruiter with a copy sent to the Career Center office.
If you have questions about these policies, please contact the Career Center at 265-3708.Top