The Office of Grants and Sponsored Programs manages all functions related to sponsored programs at Montana State University-Northern defined as any activity, research or otherwise, that is funded by an external source such as federal, state, or private organizations. We take a comprehensive managerial approach and engage in the award life cycle from assisting with locating funding opportunities to the close out of a grant or award.
- Assisting principal investigators/project directors in award administration;
- Interpreting and fostering compliance with sponsor rules, regulations, guidelines, etc.;
- Liaising with external sponsors;
- Maintaining proper fiscal management, in cooperation with the budget analyst in Business Services
- Preparation of outgoing contracts/subcontracts to sub recipients;
- Preparation or assistance with the preparation of all funding agency reports, as required, in conjunction with the principal investigator and/or the accounting office;
- Assistance with non-competing continuation applications;
- Participation in audits; and
- Providing workshops in post-award management.
The Office of Grants and Sponsored offers a wide variety of services to assist faculty and staff with obtaining sponsored funding.
- Identifying and disseminating funding opportunities;
- Liaising with funding sources;
- Review and interpretation of grant application instructions;
- Technical assistance with pre-proposal or proposal preparation issues;
- Developing/assisting with proposal budgets;
- Reviewing and submitting proposals;
- Administering electronic research administration functions working with various federal systems (i.e., Grants.gov, Fastlane , fundingmt.gov)
- Completing university assurances/certifications;
- Resolving compliance issues;
- Coordinating review/processing of incoming contracts/subcontracts; and
- Providing workshops