- Certification –You need to notify the VA Certifying Official each semester when you are registered
for the next term in order to be certified.
- Credit for Prior Education –If you are a transfer student or changing majors, the number of credits which count
toward your program of study must be reported to the VA Certifying Official before
certification. Failure to do so will result in delay of payment.
- If you wish to have your military training counted for program credit, you need to
submit a copy of your DD214 to the Registrar’s office or the Admissions office.
- Dropping/Adding –of courses that affect certification status (full-time, three-quarter time, etc…)
must be accomplished within the first 15 days of the regular semester, otherwise a
statement explaining mitigating circumstances is generally needed to avoid overpayment.
- Change of program –is defined as a loss of more than 12 semester credits when changing majors or schools.
One optional change of program is permitted. The VA must approve a second or subsequent
change before paying educational assistance allowance.
- Withdrawals –which occur after the first 15 days of class should be accompanied by a complete
statement of the reason(s) for withdrawing.
- Grades of D –cannot be repeated and paid for unless the repeat is required by the academic department.
- Grades of F –may be repeated and paid for by the VA
- Incomplete Grades –should be reported to the VA Coordinator so VA can be notified. You should also
notify the VA Certifying Official as soon as an incomplete grade has been made up.
- Academic Suspensions – (unsatisfactory academic progress) constitutes automatic discontinuance of your
- Change of Address –must be filed with the VA Certifying Official