Section 1000: Campus Policy

Effective: May 10, 1989
Revised: October 1, 2007
Review Date: October 1, 2009
Responsible Party: Chancellor


Consumption of Alcoholic beverages on property belonging to Montana State University-Northern is prohibited except as expressly permitted. Alcoholic beverage means any beverage subject to Montana Alcoholic Beverages Code.

Alcoholic beverages may be consumed by students and their guests in individual residence hall or in individual married student housing units, provided such consumption is in compliance with state law.

Authorizations by the Chancellor of Montana State University-Northern for consumption of alcoholic beverages in other college-owned areas shall conform to the following conditions:

  • In accordance with campus policy 903.1, all food and beverages for events on-campus must utilize the Montana State University-Northern Food Service. University Alumni and Foundation events held in Donaldson Commons area are exempt from this policy.
  • Consumption shall be in connection with a substantive event, such as a banquet, official entertainment, reception, etc.
  • Non-alcoholic beverages and food of a non-snack variety are required where beverages are served. Non-snack variety refers to more than chips and pretzels, examples include sandwiches, tacos, cheeses/meats, etc.
  • The event shall not be scheduled prior to 3:00 P.M. on a class day.
  • The event shall be monitored to prevent consumption by a person not of legal age. Five host ushers, (of age), must be utilized to monitor the event. The names of the host ushers will be provided on the Alcohol Request Form.
  • Student groups, that petition to serve alcoholic beverages on campus, are restricted to beer, wine & wine coolers. Two ID's are required for the purchase of alcoholic beverages.
  • If a student group is involved, such group must be officially recognized by ASN, and the advisor for the student group must be present during the entire event.
  • The event must not be held in an area necessarily open to continuing public access.
  • The sponsoring group is responsible for all campus, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
  • If a student function, the event must be open to the entire student body.
  • Student events with alcoholic beverages present must have a separate area or area adjacent to the event that is divided off, to restrict participation to of-age patrons only. No out-of-door events with alcoholic beverages are allowed on campus.
  • A security officer is required for all student sponsored events where alcoholic beverages are present. One officer is required at each entrance.
  • All bartenders and ID checkers must be nonstudent, food service personnel.
  • Attendance to an event where alcoholic beverages are served is restricted to students, faculty and staff. Non-student guests are restricted to one per student.
  • Sponsoring organizations are reminded that: 1) no alcoholic beverages may leave the event area; 2) no containers may be brought into the event area; 3) no service of alcoholic beverages will be provided to intoxicated individuals; 4) no service of alcoholic beverages will be provided to persons under legal drinking age; 5) no drinking of alcoholic beverages will be allowed in public.


  • Request forms from Business Services for scheduling facility and serving alcoholic beverages.
  • Read the alcoholic beverage policy statement and sign that you agree to abide by the alcoholic beverage policy. Student organizations must have an advisor sign that they have read and will abide by the policy statement.
  • In triplicate, fill out request for facility use and request the serving alcoholic beverage form.
  • Submit forms to appropriate building supervisor for recommendation (the name and location of building super visor can be obtained from Business Services). Forms must be submitted to building supervisor at least one calendar month prior to the event.
  • Student organizations receiving a recommendation of approval by the building supervisor must then submit their proposal to the Vice Chancellor for Finance, Administration & Student Affairs for recommendation to the Chancellor.
  • Non-student organizations upon receiving recommendation for approval by building supervisor will then submit their request to the Chancellor or his designee.


MUS Policy and Procedures Manual: Policy 503.1 Alcoholic Beverages;
MSU-Northern Administrative Policy & Procedures Manual: Policy 903.1 University Property and Facilities Rental