309.1 Naming of Buildings and Areas
Effective: December 1, 1999
Revised: April 2007
Review Date: April 2009
Responsible Party: Chancellor
Definition of University Buildings and Areas
University buildings shall mean all administrative, academic, housing, and student services buildings owned by the State of Montana and subject to the exclusive use of the Montana University System. Areas on campus shall mean all land (other than buildings) designated as Montana State University-Northern.
The Chancellor will appoint an ad hoc committee composed of eight members of the university community to administer the naming of university buildings and/or areas on campus. This committee will forward recommended building names to the Chancellor. Final approval will be granted by the Board of Regents of the Montana University System.
The selection criteria to be used by the committee is:
- No building or area may be named after or dedicated in honor of any person presently holding full-time contractual status with Montana State University-Northern.
- The persons chosen should have made a contribution to Montana State University-Northern in one of the following ways:
- A person who gave significant turning point ideas and actions.
- A person who was a benefactor of Montana State University-Northern by giving moral support and service.
- A person who enabled the growth of the University through legislation or other means.
State or National Leadership
- A person who gave original ideas, creations, or contributions to an academic field, particularly in degree areas offered by MSU-Northern.
- A person who gave dedicated and long-standing contributions to a particular field or activity.
- A person who is renowned by virtue of office.
- A person who gave a direct financial contribution to the University for buildings, scholarships, research, faculty enrichment, or other projects.
- A person who has published material, held an important academic position, made a contribution to an academic field, made an important invention, or has given significant direction to the institution, particularly if they are alumni or former faculty of MSU-Northern
MUS Policy 1004.1 Naming of Buildings, effective September 2006; Issued October 2006.