Effective: December 1, 1999
Revised: August 2010
Review Date: August 2012
Responsible Party: Chancellor
The following policies and procedures governing the utilization of University space have been adopted to promote the most efficient use of University resources.
- All space is to be considered Montana State University-Northern space. Utilization
of University space shall be the decision of the Chancellor, who has authority to
assign or reassign space on campus. All space assignments are temporary, but remain
in effect until formal reassignment occurs.
- The Chancellor may assign responsibility for campus space (including, but not limited
to offices, classrooms and laboratories, conference rooms and lounges) to one of several
administrative divisions: (A) the Chancellor; (B) the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor;
(C) Registrar/Dean of Students or (D) Director of Business Services.
- The principal administrator for the divisions described in part 2 may make further
delegations of space management within his/her division to other individuals, hereinafter
called unit managers. For example, the Chancellor may delegate responsibility for
certain space to the Director of Athletics; the Provost may delegate management responsibility
for faculty offices, classrooms, conference rooms and laboratories to the college
- Individuals with delegated responsibility for management of space shall make decisions
with respect to the assignment, use, reassignment, and alteration of such space. Those
decisions should be made, as much as possible, in consultation with the people affected
by the decision.
- If an individual office, laboratory, or similar space is to be altered, or repaired,
reasonable efforts must be made to notify the occupant(s) sufficiently in advance
to allow for protection of the contents of the space.
- Individuals with delegated responsibility for management of space, in consultation
with the Physical Plant, shall seek approval from the Chancellor or his designee when
proposed space alterations appear to have significant implications for the aesthetic
appearance of the campus, will diminish the utilization and enjoyment of space by
other units, or will limit the use of such space in the future for other purposes.
In the preceding circumstances, reasonable efforts should be made to confer with all
- No general assignment classroom, laboratory, conference/seminar room, or other facility
dedicated to instruction may be converted to non-instructional purposes without the
explicit approval of the Chancellor or his designee.
- Except in cases of natural or family emergencies, space assigned to individual faculty
or staff may not be entered without the permission of the faculty or staff member
or the responsible individual or unit manager. Permission for custodial or repair
work is assumed under the guidelines set out in section 5 above.
- Anyone entering a locked room or area has the responsibility for locking the protected
space when he/she leaves.
- Except in cases of natural or family emergencies, property not owned by Montana State
University-Northern may not be removed from space assigned to individual faculty or
staff without his/her express permission.
- Control of property owned by Montana State University-Northern is set out in MSUN policy 903.1.