MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  
                         

MSU-N History
University System
Timeline
Leadership
Buildings
Acknowledgments

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

About MSU-Northern

1940-1949

1942 1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
The WPA provides funds for moving and remodeling a 3-story building to make a men's residence hall.
 
1942
In January the Men's Co-Op (Morgan Hall Annex) is ready for occupancy. This frame building was once used as the County Poor Farm and was moved to campus with funds from the WPA program. Men's Co-Op (Morgan Hall Annex)
Men's Co-Op (Morgan Hall Annex)
 
1945

Students in the IA Building (Metals Tech)
Students in the IA Building (Metals Tech)

The Industrial Arts Building is constructed at the end of the East Road against the hills bordering the southern edge of campus. (Now known as the Metals Technology Building)
 
1946
World War II barracks from Gore Field (Great Falls) are moved to Havre. These barracks provide 33 family dwellings for temporary housing of faculty and WWII vets returning to school in the post war period. Though regarded as temporary, these units were in service for over 20 years.
  1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
1947

A recreation building from the Moutt Mine near Columbus is purchased and the one story 110x60 foot building is cut into sections and moved to the NMC campus for use as the Student Union Building.

Construction of the east wing of Cowan Hall begins.

A 100x40 foot building is acquired from Gore Field and placed directly west of the IA Building. It serves as the Physical Plant maintenance shop and office building.

 
1948

After a delay because of lack of funds, the SUB is finally ready for use in the fall.

 
1949

Construction of Cowan Hall stops when money runs out.

The girls' residence hall is named Donaldson Hall in honor of a deceased NMC English instructor.

A small one story brick vehicle storage building is constructed by campus crews just west of the Physical Plant building. Delayed construction of Cowan Hall causes this building to be pressed into service for classrooms.

The first paving of roads begins in the fall.

 
Back Next