MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  
                         

MSU-N History
University System
Timeline
Leadership
Buildings
Acknowledgments

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

About MSU-Northern

1950-1959

1951 1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today

The college symbol is designed by Mrs. L.O. Brockmann, wife of the NMC President. The lines in the center represent the Aurora Borealis and the three vertical lines symbolize the three major curricular functions of the college: liberal arts, teacher training, and vocational and technical studies.

NMC Symbol
 
A small one story building with multiple overhead doors is constructed. It was intended for use as vehicle storage, but due to the delays on the Cowan Hall construction it is pressed into service for classrooms. It is currently known as the Automotive Diagnostic Laboratory.
 
1953

Cowan Hall is dedicated but is incomplete except for the ground level and main floor. This building is named after a strong advocate and devoted worker for the college, former Senator William T. Cowan of Box Elder who was a strong advocate and devoted worker for the college throughout its history.

The Automotive Mechanics building is completed.

Street lights and sidewalks are added and some leveling and smoothing of the hills around East Hall and Pershing is done. Paved roads were expanded.

The first annual is published at a cost of $3: $1.50 down and $1.50 on delivery.

 
1954
NMC is authorized to offer the four year Bachelor of Science degree in elementary teacher education.
  1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
1955

In early 1955 a gift to NMC by Mrs. George J. Bonine makes possible a later purchase of almost 29 acres of land along the eastern edge of the existing campus.

In October Mrs. F.A. Buttrey donates 15.8 acres of land on the west edge of campus in memory of her husband.

On November 1st, ground breaking ceremonies mark the beginning of construction of the Armory Gymnasium. This building is to be jointly financed and used by the college and the National Guard. During construction wind catches one of the newly installed arches, tilting it into two others and topples the entire structural skeleton.

 
1956

The City of Havre donates .2 of an acre of land close to the northeast entrance of the campus bringing the total acreage to nearly 105 acres.
 

The Armory Gymnasium is completed and the entry hall and lobby are added. Armory Gymnasium
Armory Gymnasium
 
The Havre Kiwanis Club plants the shelter belt along the western and southern perimeter of campus.
 
1957
The student body donates a sound system to the gym.
 
Morgan Hall
Morgan Hall
Male students move into the newly constructed boys' dormitory located just north of the original boys' dorm. Named Morgan Hall in honor of longtime faculty member and interim President of the College in 1953, Dr. Ellsworth A. Morgan.
 
1958

Two more arches are added to the gym creating an additional 40 feet. Seating capacity is increased to about 2500; wrestling room and offices are gained.

A south wing is added to Morgan Hall.

The dining area in Donaldson Hall is closed and all campus residents are served meals from the new food service facility in Morgan Hall.

Plans are drawn for a new Student Union Building. The entire cost will be borne by students through increased fees authorized by the students.

 
1959
A fund is established in the memory of Max P. Kuhr. Money from this fund is used to construct the Kuhr memorial pond on the northern side of campus.
 
Back Next