MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  
     

MSU-N History
University System
Timeline
Leadership
Buildings
Acknowledgments

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

Images of MSUN

About MSU-Northern

History

Men's Co-Op

Men's Co-OpIn 1941 the WPA again came to the aid of the college by providing funds for moving and remodeling an abandoned building to make a men's residence hall. Located some distance west of Havre, the frame building had once been used as the County Poor Farm. The Havre Chamber of Commerce donated $2,000 for the purchase of the threestory wooden structure and local workmen moved it to the campus where it was remodeled, adding a lower floor and an extended wing.

The building was ready for occupancy in January of 1942. When it came time to furnish it, an ad was placed in the local newspaper indicating the need for beds, desks, etc. The community quickly supplied odds and ends of furniture. Women's service clubs supplied curtains. Called the Men's Co- Op (later Morgan Annex) the building was far from fancy. It was utilitarian.

Former Co-Op LocationThe basement level housed a dining hall that was later converted into classroom space. This area continued in use even after a new boys' dorm was constructed in 1957. The old building was demolished in 1968 leaving behind only the cement walls of the present tennis courts just south of Morgan Hall. The total cost of the building was $7,439.09 and labor for remodeling was done by campus crews.

East Hall
Pershing Hall
Donaldson Hall
Men's Co-Op
Industrial Arts
Vets Housing
Student Union
Cowan Hall
Physical Plant
Automotive
Gymnasium
Campus Houses
Morgan Hall
Food Service
Married Student Housing
Math/Science
Electronics
Engineering Tech
MacKenzie Hall
Library
Farm Mechanics
Applied Technology