MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  

MSU-N History
University System

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

Images of MSUN

About MSU-Northern


West Wing of the High School

When the college opened its doors on September 14, 1929, it was in quarters leased from School District 16 A. The space leased consisted of all three floors of the west section of the then high school building located between 4th and 5th Avenues and 7th and 8th Streets. This west wing had been constructed nine years earlier for use as a junior high school. Giving up the space was a hardship for the school district, but concern for the development of the college was so great that the sacrifice was readily made. Though the lease was supposed to be only temporary, the college occupied this space for over 20 years.

HHS circa 1929A gentleman's agreement existed regarding the maintenance and care of the building. Other details of the lease were modified several times as space was gradually reclaimed by the school district. By 1948 the pressure of the WWII baby boom forced the school district to give advance notice of the termination of the lease. The college was then under immediate pressure to seek whatever space was available on campus.

The move from the high school quarters was accomplished in 1952. Administrative offices were squeezed into East Hall and classes were wedged into other existing buildings including the dormitories. The library was left stranded in the basement of the Presbyterian Church six to ten blocks from the campus buildings.

The college continued to use the high school gymnasium for athletics and other major events until 1956 when the Armory Gymnasium was completed. Twenty seven years after its creating the school was finally able to incorporate all of its functions within its own buildings on its own campus.

East Hall
Pershing Hall
Donaldson Hall
Men's Co-Op
Industrial Arts
Vets Housing
Student Union
Cowan Hall
Physical Plant
Campus Houses
Morgan Hall
Food Service
Married Student Housing
Engineering Tech
MacKenzie Hall
Farm Mechanics
Applied Technology