MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  

MSU-N History
University System

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

Images of MSUN

About MSU-Northern


Morgan Hall

Morgan HallIn the fall of 1957 male students moved into the newly constructed boys' dormitory located just north of the original boys' dorm. The building designed by Oswald Berg featured contemporary flat rooflines with extended window space in the dining room and lounge. Originally designed to house 114 men, an addition of a south wing in 1958 brought the number to about 300. In January of that year the dining hall in Donaldson Hall was closed and all campus residents were served meals from a new food service facility in the new dormitory.

The building was named Morgan Hall in honor of a longtime faculty member and interim President of the college in 1953, Dr. Ellsworth A. Morgan. Morgan had taught German at the college for 26 years and was well known for his work in the community. The building was attractively furnished in contemporary style. Cost of the building was estimated in 1961 at $1,050,000. Severe settling of the land in the northeast wing forced its closure in 1986 and some subsequent remodeling. The lobby area of the building was remodeled in the early 1990s to provide a non- denomination chapel space for the campus. Furnishings for the chapel were donated to the college by the Morgan HallCowan family and had been stored for years in the attic of Donaldson Hall. An additional gift by the Cowans to the Northern Foundation provided funds for the remodeling and the space was dedicated to Mrs. Anabelle Cowan.

East Hall
Pershing Hall
Donaldson Hall
Men's Co-Op
Industrial Arts
Vets Housing
Student Union
Cowan Hall
Physical Plant
Campus Houses
Morgan Hall
Food Service
Married Student Housing
Engineering Tech
MacKenzie Hall
Farm Mechanics
Applied Technology